Cepton’s 3D LiDAR sensors with (MMTTM) are transforming automotive
Cepton have been announced as finalists in the “Hardware Innovation” category for the AutoSens Awards 2018. Winners will be crowned during an evening ceremony on 19 September at the Atomium, Brussels.
The hardware innovation award recognises a recent hardware product, technical team or company that has contributed most to the technical development of vehicle perception. Cepton are among 5 other companies all hotly contesting the Award, including NXP Semiconductors, Renesas, OmniVision, Velodyne Lidar and Robert Bosch.
In March 2018, Cepton announced the launch of their fourth generation LiDAR – Vista. Their Vista LiDAR sensor delivers best-in-class performance to the automotive market when compared to current LiDAR technologies. The 120-line-equivalent scanner delivers 200 meters of range and 0.2 degrees of spatial resolution. The Vista LiDAR is more compact than most solutions on the market and uses fewer than 10 watts of power. This allows automakers to seamlessly integrate LiDAR technology into the vehicle body. “We are all familiar with the challenges of integrating sensors in a convenient and efficient way, while ensuring high quality data capture. Cepton’s innovation could be an important contribution in this direction, and I’m pleased to see their hard work recognised via this shortlisting.” said AutoSens Awards Director, Robert Stead.
On July 27th, Cepton announced its partnership with one of the world’s leading automotive lighting suppliers, Koito, to bring their innovative LiDAR technology to their line of LED headlights and taillights. Their compact design allows for LiDAR units to be embedded directly into headlights and taillights. Their patented Micro-Motion Technology enables cars to recognize and track objects from all four corners, providing a true 3D image of their surrounding environment. They’re excited to see cars take advantage of our autonomous technology to create safer and more reliable driving experiences, without limiting carmakers’ designs.
“We are honored to be announced as a finalist in the ‘Hardware Innovation’ category for the 2018 AutoSens Awards,” said Dr. Mark McCord, co-founder and vice president of engineering at Cepton Technologies. “This distinguished nomination reinforces how our 3D LiDAR sensors with micro-motion technology (MMTTM) are transforming automotive, industrial and mapping applications to make them more safe and reliable.”
Watch latest videos from AutoSens on YouTube
► Interview with EYECONART at AutoSens 2020
► Testing automotive camera modules – the difference between theory and reality
► Detectivity – Ranking Cameras for Machine Vision Tasks
The five key advantages of their LiDAR technology are Cepton’s high-resolution imaging, long range, energy-efficiency, low cost and small form factor.
- Cepton’s LiDAR technology stands out for its high-resolution imaging that makes autonomous navigation safer and more reliable, which is their top priority.
- Their technology can see at distances of up to 300 meters, making their LiDAR suitable for all types of driving scenarios.
- The highly energy-efficient design of their technology ensures a car’s performance is not impacted.
- While some LiDAR solutions can cost thousands of dollars, Cepton’s breakthroughs in the design and manufacturing process have enabled them to bring the price of their solutions down below one thousand dollars. This low cost means that LiDAR technology could be incorporated into any car, not just luxury vehicles.
- They are currently shipping their entire line of four advanced LiDAR solutions and have more than 60 customers worldwide.
“When we started Cepton in 2016, we saw a huge market opportunity for more advanced LiDAR technology to support the growing demand for more autonomous cars, industrial applications and mapping applications,” said Dr. Jun Pei, co-founder and CEO of Cepton Technologies. “We are excited to be a key part of the automotive revolution that will transform the way consumers live, work and get around.”
Good luck to Cepton and congratulations again on being selected as finalists. Join the celebrations at the AutoSens Awards and see who will be crowned the winner of the “Hardware Innovation category on 19 September at the Atomium, Brussels. Book tickets here >>
Read latest news and updates from AutoSens
- Behind the scenes with Carl Anthony, Founder of AutoVision News ~ 25 September 20
- Catching up with the latest developments from OmniVision ~ 23 September 20
- Overcoming roadblocks in tackling drowsy driving ~ 10 September 20